Friday, July 23

Tutorial - Doll Kimono - Part 1


This is how to make a cute kimono outfit for a 13" Tall Les Cheries doll. You could use the same method for a taller doll with of course more fabric.

You will need:
Doll outfit for size
- 1 fat quarter
- Coordinating thread
- Pinking scissors
- Measuring tape
- Fabric marking crayon
- Elastic band
- Bias tape
- Sewing machine





* Cut off the selvage
* Fold your fat quarter in 2 lengthwise and lay the doll's pants on top
Those pants are about 2 inches wide but tight fitting on the doll so I chose to add 1 inch to the finished width to achieve the kimono pant effect.
* Cut 2 strips 3 inches wide each and fold them in half right sides together
* Lay the pants on top of the fabric strip again and trace the outline with fabric marking crayon
* Cut the fabric with pinking scissors leaving 3/8 allowance around the outline

* Sew the inside seams of each pant leg wrong side together
* Hem the bottoms
* Sew the outside seams of each pant leg wrong side together
* Turn the legs over and sew the 2 legs together

Almost there
* Hem the waist leaving a channel wide enough to put elastic through it - Leave about 1/2 inch (1cm) unstitched, preferably in the back
* Measure the waist of the doll and cut a piece of elastic band about 1/2 inch shorter than your measurement.
* Thread the elastic in the waist channel (I use a safety pin to guide the elastic through)
* Stitch the ends of the elastic together and finish the waist seam

You are done !








Update:








UndertheTableandDreaming

6 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline! These are super cute! I love the idea of making the clothing yourself. Fantastic tutorial. Wanted to let you know I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea. Too bad my daughter is too old to play with dolls, as she would have loved the kimono.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable! Thank you for shairng this at my link paryt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know I had it in me to sew doll clothing. When I started shopping for my little bug's birthday present I was shocked to find any odd outfit would run 20-30 dollars so I just bought a basic outfit and did a few things myself ... for under $5. Thank you Stephanie, Grace and Sachiko for your feedback!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute outfit for a doll!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-kimono-style-pajamas-for-any-size-baby-doll/2010/10/02/

    The link will go live Saturday, October 2.

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline, saw your delightful tutorial for the kimono. Would you mind if our American Girl Doll group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SGOTs_AmericanGirlDollGroup) used the idea for one of our monthly sew-alongs? Thank you so much for your response.

    Melinda C
    evrnstitches@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you. I read all comments and time permitting will respond to all.

You may also like...