Thursday, August 19

A summer treat : Peach upside down cake

I love sewing, painting and crafting. I love creating. And I love good foods. So of course I looove baking. So I figured for a change I would share a great summer recipe. We love going to a local farm on Sundays  where you can pick fresh fruit and veggies yourself. If you are in Maryland, check it out, it's called Larriland Farm. It's open from May to October and it's a great family outing. Last time we picked peaches. A LOT of peaches. 28 pounds of peaches.

I looked and looked for recipes with peaches and couldn't find something I really liked so I did some experimental baking. The first 2 didn't come out too great but now I have this down pat. And it's so easy!!

You will need:
- 2 pounds of fresh ripe peaches
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 dash of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of milk (I used 2%)
- a microwaveable bowl
- a 9" round baking pan - (I'm partial to my pink silicone Calphalon pan. They support the research for breast cancer cure)

Pre-heat your oven to 430F
In the microwaveable bowl, put the butter, then put it in the microwave just long enough so the butter is VERY soft but not melted

Add your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder) and mix
It should look like this

Add the eggs and stirr



Add the milk and vanilla
The batter should be about the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Don't worry about lumps.


While the batter is resting, peal and slice your peaches. Our peaches were pretty small so I did halves.
Important tip:
If the peaches are VERY juicy, add a tablespoon of cornstarch and mix with the fruit before putting them in the pan.
If the peaches are VERY firm, microwave them at high setting for about 6 minutes with 3 extra tablespoons of sugar.

Put the peaches at the bottom of the pan and pour the batter over. Tap the pan to even the batter and make it fill all the gaps between the fruit bits.


One trick with silicone pans: I put it on a tart pan so it's easer to maneuver



Time for baking:
In my convection oven it takes exactly 30 minutes. In a conventional oven you can add at least 5 minutes.

Isn't this pretty ??



And now comes the HARD part of all this.
YOU MUST WAIT. Yes with that yummy smell in you kitchen (and the whole house) you have to wait until the cake is almost completely cooled down (1 hour) to turn it over on a serving plate.


When the cake cools down it "shrinks" a little. If you do not wait you will have a sticky mess glued to your pan and the cake will be good but ugly.

If you wait it will looks like this:


Even yummier with some blueberries but I ran out. You can serve it like this or with vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy !!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather,
    I hope some of the readers will try it out

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow that looks amazing! Gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peaches and this looks really good!! Thanks so much for sharing your cake recipe with us at Anything Related!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you. I read all comments and time permitting will respond to all.

You may also like...