Wednesday, September 22

Sobe Lanterns

I'm a sucker for a good Sobe drink. those guys really can make water interesting and the yumberry-pomegranate just reminds me of my childhood's grenadine. So even though I try to avoid buying sodas and other bottled drinks, I find myself enjoying one of those every once in a while. I also noticed the bottle is a bit more interesting than your average plastic bottle. This prompted a little experience. I saved a few bottles and sliced the top off.  I dug up my stash of spray paint and this is what I came up with: 
First I though about using them as a  vase for branches and dried flowers but the first spray test turned into a rather interesting oops with some texture. Which made me think about the LED tealights I bought for Halloween. 





I decided for those because they are way safer then real tea lights and we have quite a few young trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood. 

For the second and third bottle, I applied some Mod Podge with a brush and sprayed the paint on before it dried. Once the paint was dry, I gently rubbed the Mod Podged areas to reveal transparency.  I like how it turned out but I think I can get something more interesting.  I'm going to experiement some more with those bottles... I'm thinking stencils...





14 comments:

  1. A new idea for Mod Podge - using it as resist.

    I really like the shape of those bottles too. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever. I love the ones you mod-podged then painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative & pretty...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! that looks awesome. And it was practically free. I'll have to try that, I really like the way they turned out. I'll be looking at plastic bottles differently from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I haven't seen the LED tea lights but am off to look for some. This looks like it could be a kid friendly project too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like thinking outside the box. The idea to reuse the bottles came to me after I peeled the plastic label. The shape is really inspiring. Then I veered from my initial idea when the paint turned out funny.

    @ Rainbowcreek I used spray paint but I would probably work with acrylic paints too

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative idea! I can see using these to some spooky Halloween effect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! Really cool!
    You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie link party!
    Allie
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea! I love the glowing light coming through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously had to take a double take! Those look nothing like a plastic Sobe bottle! Great job! They are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh now that is one neato project there. I couldn't believe those were sobe bottles! Such a great idea!!

    popping by from Sassy Sites :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from Sassy Sites! What an interesting take on a candle holder. Looks great and I Love the shape.
    Stop by and visit me @ www.pinkapotamus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea! Love it!

    Melissa
    http://www.burstsofcreativity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative and the bottles really are a cool shape, you have a good eye! I wonder how torn tissue mod podged on would look? Maybe in colors like blue and turquoise? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

I would love hearing from you. I read all comments and time permitting will respond to all.

You may also like...